Check with the builders if they are following the govt’s safety norms Delhi-NCR falls in the seismic zone and is prone to tremors. Hence, builders are usually constructing complexes that can sustain jolts.
However, ensuring the safety of your family and your home is primarily your responsibility. So how does one ensure one is buying into an earthquake resistant complex?
Here are a few tips you need to follow:
– “If you are buying an apartment, ensure it is from a reputed builder. They generally follow the government-recommended safety stipulations. Documents to this effect are with the developer, and you can cross-check them to ensure you are safe,” says Dhirendar Patil, an architect and construction consultant for several leading developers.
– Check with the architect if support walls (also called shear walls) are raised near elevators and staircases and other hollow areas in the ground. This, as per experts, is a basic check that confirms to the layman that the developer is aware of earthquake-proofing regulations.
– Apartments are invariably raised on columns. In a seismic-prone area, these columns go deep into the ground (about 2.5 metres). Confirm this at the time of booking.
- When planning interiors, it is a good policy to use lower shelves for heavier pieces (decorative or otherwise).
- All shelves from kitchen cupboards to wardrobes must have hard door fasteners.
- Install automatic gas and electricity shutdown that get triggered even by mild tremors.
- Check if the elevators are programmed to move to the nearest floor and freeze only after the door is opened for safety of those inside.